Realizing that a redesign doesn’t mean I need to start from scratch with everything, I reclaim the logo from the previous design to use on the new site.
Eager to build more than the blog, I write about bringing a new content model to the site in the form of an intro on the homepage.
Similar to the post itself, there’s not much to this description besides indicating that I replace the default favicon with my own.
In this post, I second-guess the path to the site’s RSS feed and refactor it to support multiple feeds, which will most likely be overkill in the end.
Taking a break from visible progress, I implement TypeScript on the site as a way for me to finally learn what the big deal is all about.
Rather than moving the needle further, I spend a night going down a rabbit hole that does leave me without much to show, but I still consider it progress.
A dozen posts into writing for the new site, I recognize a need for pagination and write about implementing it in Contentful.
After referencing another post in the form of a link, I find myself needing to build a custom renderer in Contentful.
A friend pointed out a mistake in an earlier post I wrote, so I implemented footnotes to allow for corrections while still maintaining the original writing.
In a move to improve readability, I adjust the leading on the site to provide more breathing room between lines of text.
With the discovery of the ch unit type in CSS and guidance on the ideal character-based line width, I set out to enforce a max-width on the site’s body copy.
With an increasing number of code snippets in my posts, I introduce Prism.js to the site for much improved syntax highlighting.
After fetching WebP formatted images from Contentful’s image API, I realize that Safari doesn’t support WebP and requires a fallback PNG.
A forgotten CSS style prevents the images on the site from resizing for mobile, but a new discovery of Contentful’s image API leads to the perfect max-width.
In order to maintain a chronologically aware blog, I add dates to posts and the RSS feed using the date-fns library.
After realizing that Contentful’s rich text renderer doesn’t include a renderer for assets, I create my own using Contentful’s image API.
To keep myself in check, I install a Lighthouse integration to score the site’s performance and accessibility.
With a description as short as the post itself, I write about adding a site title and links to the article titles.
After being nudged by the elders of the web, I implement an RSS feed for those who are still sour about the demise of Google Reader—myself included.
Neglecting to read the manual, I hit a snag and blame Contentful’s API before inevitably realizing that the problem exists between the keyboard and chair.
In this inaugural post, I set out on an adventure to redesign my site while documenting its process along the way.
While thinking through adding the ability for people to receive posts as emails, I took a detour and reworked the footer area for posts.
While embedding the fixed-size Casper animation on the homepage, I face the technical challenge of gracefully scaling the animation on smaller viewports.
With the goal of improving the UX of the blog’s index, I redesign the layout for easier skimming over the entirety of the blog and better organizing of posts.
Initially about the Stripe section of the homepage, this post quickly diverges into a tirade about frameworks and how vanilla JS is much more future-proof.
After realizing that my articles lead to a dead end after reading, I describe how I added pagination in the form of links to adjacent articles.
This post describes the technical workings of the anchored DT logo, which changes color based on the homepage section being scrolled through.
Once I had enough time to come down after launching the homepage, I write about the concept of embedding all of my scroll-based animations onto one page.
Instead of accompanying the launch of the new homepage with a lengthy process post, I preferred to simply announce the page and enjoy it being out there.
In preparation for the launch of the new redesign, I walk through migrating blog posts from the previous site and flipping the switch to the root domain.
This is a quick post about giving into the centered layout after months of enjoying the classic left-aligned layout.
After realizing the site didn’t include any way of reaching me, I add Twitter and mailto links to the header.